Friday, November 11, 2011

Controversial Precaution: A Response

Amber, a classmate I have grown to admire for her exploration through different points of view from her own, wrote an opinion piece on making HPV vaccines mandatory for adolescent girls. She wrote in approval of such a measure, shutting down arguments based on religion and morality. She says most of those in opposition of the vaccine administration use the excuse that the vaccine would promote promiscuity, and supporting lifestyles of abstinence would be more productive. Amber doesn't believe this is a relevant argument, and I agree because abstinence has never, and will never be an effective solution against STDs, so protection is necessary. Amber and I agree that the HPV vaccine is necessary, but where we differ is in making it mandatory.

My mother got me the chicken pox vaccine at a young age. I wish she had thrown me into a room with a chicken pox infected kid in stead, because now I have to keep getting the vaccine. Chicken pox is more dangerous the older you get. The chicken pox is, of course, among the least important vaccines. Those for Polio, Hep, etc. are far more important and necessary. Their necesity, however, does not influence me to believe they should be mandatory vaccines.

What one puts into their body should always be at the discretion of the informed individual. I have friends in California that grew up in households so against vaccines that they managed to avoid getting ANY. To this day, in their 20s, they're still not vaccinated, and have never had a problem. Of course, they lead extremely health-conscious lifestyles, so that factors in as well.

I'm not saying important vaccines should just simply be an ambiguous option, they should be stressed heavily by doctors and health teachers to all academic levels. Information about what is in the vaccine and what each ingredient does to prevent whatever disease It's preventing should be provided before administration of the vaccine, as well as side effects, and physical consequences and factual statistics if one were to opt out. All of this information should also be taught in schools, and given to parents at their children's doctor visits. Transparency is absolutely key in healthcare. There is nothing more important than health, and an understanding of how to maintain health.

On the subject of the HPV vaccines specifically, I support any woman taking the opportunity to protect themselves. As I have already stated, however, I do not believe any vaccines should be mandatory by law. I have gotten the vaccine, but I come from a non-religious household that believes in the empowerment of women. Not every woman has this fantastic upbringing. Medical, unbiased information has to be administered to every woman by their doctors about this vaccine stating the risks involved in the vaccine, as well as statistics related to the HPV virus and what causes it if one were to opt out, so every woman can make an informed decision by their own accord.

So here I come, from a less-than-moral stand-point with no religious affiliation, and I'm against making any vaccine mandatory. Am I a total hippy, or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment