Friday, October 28, 2011

Tolerating Intolerance

The long on-going debate over the right for homosexuals to Wed is non-sense to me. I have absolutely no idea how one can argue for the illegality of allowing two men or two women to enter a legally binding relationship to one another. The institution of a Christian marriage is an irrelevant argument because of the Separation of Church and State. If a woman and I were to fall in love, I'd demand the right to see her in the hospital, should that ever be an issue. I'd demand the right to adopt a child or children with her. I'd want all the same rights as I would have if I were to fall in love with a man in stead. Homosexuality exists and is very real, and official acknowledgement is long overdue.

I also don’t understand how Homosexual Equality is a state issue. Matters pertaining to personal morality, like the recognition of a homosexual couple, boarders (and in my opinion, crosses) the the threshold of discrimination. How can you define a relationship without using any Biblical reference? Love is indefinable, and a personal matter. People are not Lincoln Logs, we make life messy and mold into whatever feels right, wether that be with a man, woman, or solo. We don’t fit into boxes.

3 comments:

  1. People that disagree with homosexual relationships base it on scripture from The Bible and religious beliefs. If that is what certain individuals believe – ok, have those beliefs. But our government is not here to restrict people from having basic human rights. It is discrimination. Period. I am sure that my grandchildren will be disgusted that I grew up in a time where homosexuals do not have the same right and freedom to marry whoever they choose, just as I am appalled that my grandmother was born without the right to vote and my parents went to segregated schools. America represents freedom and equality. I do have faith that homosexuals will have all the same rights and freedoms as heterosexuals in my lifetime. Hopefully, it will be sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The concept of the separation of church and state refers to the distance in the relationship between organized religion and the nation state. The term is an offshoot of the phrase, "wall of separation between church and state," as written by Thomas Jefferson. Many early immigrant groups traveled to America to worship freely. Because we live in a country that stresses this freedom then it should be upheld.
    People that disagree with homosexual relationships base it on scripture from The Bible and religious beliefs. If that is what certain individuals believe – ok, have those beliefs. But our government is not here to restrict people from having basic human rights. It is discrimination. Period. I am sure that my grandchildren will be disgusted that I grew up in a time where homosexuals do not have the same right and freedom to marry whoever they choose, just as I am appalled that my grandmother was born without the right to vote and my parents went to segregated schools. America represents freedom and equality. I do have faith that homosexuals will have all the same rights and freedoms as heterosexuals in my lifetime. Hopefully, it will be sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of Andrea, I'd like to say that I love San Francisco and I catch myself day dreaming of chowder in a sourdough bread bowl all the time. Now that that is out of the way, we can get to your blog post.

    I absolutely agree with your position that homosexuals should have the same right to be in a legally bound relationship. It is hard to imagine that this is still an issue. In a "free" society people should have the right to pick a partner and live their life how they choose. If no one is being harmed, what's the big deal? It feels like homosexuality is becoming more accepted by the majority of people in this country. On the flip, people are becoming more polarized against homosexuality (I believe) with the advent of the internet. The net allows people with similar ideas and morals to organize and influence other people towards their beliefs, for better or worse.

    The only criticism I could muster is that, no where in the Constitution does it specifically state that there must be a "separation of church and state", rather it has been argued that it is implied in Constitution.

    ReplyDelete